Mid-Level User Researcher
Academia is building a new distribution and peer review platform for sharing and discovering academic research. Guided by a mission to accelerate the world’s research, we aim to make all academic papers available for free online to anyone anywhere.
We have over 100M registered users worldwide, including academic experts, professionals in the private and public sectors, students of all levels, and lifelong learners. They come to to access academic scholarship for free, receive personalized research recommendations, and connect with like-minded peers. We also offer a Premium feature suite that delivers even more relevant and curated research content to users, saves them time when researching, and tracks engagement with their papers.
Academia has attracted 34 million in investment from leading VC firms including Khosla Ventures, True Ventures, Spark Capital, and Tencent. Our work has garnered favorable attention from trade and mainstream media including UK Times, Fortune, Wired, EdTech, Venture Beat, San Francisco Business Times, The Economist, The Washington Post, TechCrunch, Scientific American, and Forbes.
About the role
In this role you will conduct foundational, generative, and evaluative research to understand the needs and product experiences of our diverse user base. You will work cross-functionally with PMs, leadership, engineering, and data science to identify research needs, execute on research using mixed methods, deepen user empathy across the company, and inspire the Product team with actionable recommendations. We are a small team so you’ll have the capacity for impact across the full product cycle, while also taking part in initiatives that explore new markets and enterprise offerings.
* B.A. in a social or behavioral science, HCI, UX Design, or other field with a research component
* 3+ years of end-to-end user research experience in an industry setting
* Formal training or experience with study design, data collection, analysis, and synthesis in multiple methods
* Demonstrated expertise with qualitative methods
* Ability to translate findings into compelling, actionable insights and specific product recommendations and feed them into the product roadmap
* Ability to balance competing requests across multiple product teams and leadership
* Demonstrated ability to execute research quickly and independently, while working with multiple stakeholders
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills across functions and teams
Nice to haves:
* M.A. or Ph.D. degree in a research discipline
* Direct experience with academic research as an undergraduate, graduate student, or similar
* Quantitative research expertise, including survey design, data analysis, and reporting
* Work with PMs, designers, and leadership to understand current priorities and business goals and develop research projects to both inform and guide the product teams.
* Handle the pipeline of inbound research requests from various teams across the organization. Prioritize new and ongoing projects, and quickly react to real-time changes.
* Conduct qualitative research, including interviews, ethnographies, remote and in-person usability testing, survey research, secondary research, and more.
* Create foundational user artifacts such as user narratives, personas, journeys, jobs to be done, etc. that will inform all teams.
* Evangelize research across the company and share user insights in creative ways, to increase user empathy and inspire action on user-centric initiatives.
* Identify opportunities for improving product quality and user experience by synthesizing data from user research, data science, and customer success.
* Guide and support PMs and Designers in the generation and synthesis of user feedback for rapid product iteration.
* Document and share best practices in user research to increase internal research capacity.
* Experiment with and propose new ideas, tools, processes, and techniques to improve workflow and efficiency, and actively contribute to User Research documentation and repositories.